THE week-long national Road Safety Week concluded recently with multiple activities undertaken by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) with participation from all automobile dealers from across the nation. Conducted in active participation with the traffic police departments of various cities, the program successfully educated lakhs of people on various aspects related to road safety and better road traffic management.
The week-long activities did not just focus on creating awareness but also involved eye check-up camps for commercial vehicle drivers, health check-up drives, workshops for drivers and school children. Besides New Delhi, the program was conducted in NCR, Mumbai, Haridwar, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Jaipur, Andhra Pradesh, Kolkata, Bangalore, Pondicherry, and many other cities. Around 10,000 school children participated in different activities such as drawing competition, quiz competition, street plays, jingles etc to educated people in their respective cities on road safety.
Speaking about the initiatives, P K Banerjee, executive director, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), said, “Road safety is of paramount importance for SIAM –SAFE (Society for Automotive Fitness & Environment) and we have always laid utmost emphasis at spreading education and awareness with regards to road safety. A vast majority of accidents occur due to drivers ignorance and as an industry voice, we are committed to creating a sustainable framework to make our roads safe by educating drivers and as well as students, the future drivers. Another aspect we focus greatly is the physical and mental health of the drivers, which play a crucial role in helping them drive/ride safety. The safety of our roads will be a reflection of the country’s growth and the industry has been striving hard to achieve this and the ‘Building the Nation, Responsibly’ campaign bears testimony to our efforts.”
The activities included road safety activities at automobiles dealers’ network across the country. Road safety awareness drives at Bareilly, Moradabad and Lucknow were organised along with Uttar Pradesh transport department. Driver’s health is also of utmost importance when we look at following road safety practices. As a part of this initiative, SIAM along with MoRTH had organised free eye check-up camps at 16 Toll Plazas.
Some of the other major activities that took place during Road Safety Week:
- Road Safety Vehicle display at GMR, Delhi
- Road Safety Awareness program for Students and drivers with GMR at Delhi Airport
- Interactive session with Commercial Vehicle Drivers at Burari and Loni IDTRs
- Health Check-Up camp for Drivers at Ludhiana, Chandigarh Haridwar, Rudrapur, Jaipur, Bhilwara, Allahbad, Patna, Kanpur, Bhiwandi, Mumbai, Andhra Pradesh, Hosur, Haldia and Hoogly
- Road Safety awareness drive for Drivers at Ludhiana, Chandigarh Haridwar, Rudrapur, Jaipur, Bhilwara, Allahbad, Patna, Kanpur, Bhiwandi, Mumbai, Andhra Pradesh, Hosur, Haldia and Hoogly, Vijatwada, Pithampur, Ahmedabad, Indore, Kolkata, Mohali, and Delhi
- Road Safety awareness drive for Students with Eicher across the country
- Road Safety Awareness Drive for Drivers of Commercial taxis, bus & trucks at Maharashtra
- Road Safety awareness drive for Students with Eicher at Vjaywada, Pithampur, Ahmedabad, Indore, Kolkata, Mohali
- Road Safety Awareness Drive for Students at Hyderabad and Pondicherry
- Road Safety Workshop for Students of various institutes and Road Safety Cycle Rally
- Road Safety workshops for drivers at different cities of Odisha
- Road Safety Workshop for School and College Students at Tripura